September 2025

September 2025
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Thursday, December 30, 2010

12-30-10 Singing All The Time

Just a song that’s been on my mind lately -

Singing All The Time (Gospel Hymns #156)

I feel like singing all the time, My tears are wiped away;

For Jesus is a friend of mind, I'll serve Him ev'ry day.

        I'm singing, singing, Singing all the time; Singing, singing, Singing all the time.

When on the cross my Lord I saw, Nail'd there by sins of mine;

Fast fell the burning tears; but now, I'm singing all the time.

        I'm singing, singing, Singing all the time; Singing, singing, Singing all the time.

When fierce temptations try my heart, I sing, Jesus is mine;

And so, though tears at times may start, I'm singing all the time.

        I'm singing, singing, Singing all the time; Singing, singing, Singing all the time.

The wondrous story of the Lamb, Tell with that voice of thine,

Till others, with the glad new song Go singing all the time.

        I'm singing, singing, Singing all the time; Singing, singing, Singing all the time.

It’s not a bad tune to be dancing around in one’s head all day!

Today was warm. I don’t know how warm, but the snow that was thoroughly enjoyed with the 4 wheeler and sleds yesterday was 99.99% (or so) GONE by the time we headed out for our afternoon fresh air fix. Disappointing? Not in the slightest – a great time was had by all – especially Kate, when Jacob took a body splat into a nice wet mud puddle while doing chores. He told me about it, and that Kate couldn’t stop laughing at him. I didn’t have much sympathy for him; my only response was, “You would have been laughing even harder if she was the one who fell!” He tried to deny it, but his laughing kind of gave himself away. And I didn’t even get to see it OR get a picture, because I was rocking Joshua before his nap, and Jacob wouldn’t let the girls take his picture. Anyway, I saw plenty of other mud outside, but since Jacob took care of the heavy-duty laundry load, I didn’t see much inside. Now that’s a good kid! Thanks, Jacob!  I even had a clear road on which to walk, but instead took a walk-about the farmyard with Joshua and Jewel. I got plenty of exercise pulling him in the wagon – he’s getting pretty hefty. Levi and Jesse milked twice, with Levi going to Precision in between and Jesse studying here. When his school is done, he’s been spending lots of time working on the distributor on his tractor and really seems to enjoy it. The rest of us did a little bit of school, a lot of ironing, and Tori did a lot of sewing for me (making a skirt for Jewel). Dad was home early from work, and he and I did some errands and had supper together before coming home to catch up with everyone.

Gray but beautiful anyway.

P1010395

Very intrigued with the pink ice that was hidden under the snow.

P1010396

(remember, we butchered last week…)

P1010401

P1010402

P1010403

Josh thought “walking” on the ice was so much fun! He did more slipping and falling than walking, but Tori kept him safe.

P1010405

P1010407

So thankful our kids are friends (usually).

P1010408 

Jewel insists this pink hat is her favorite, even though half the time she can’t see because there’s little elastic left to keep it off of her eyes. Funny how those shapeless hats become favorites…and then somehow they get lost…

Anyway, she was obviously enjoying her swing ride regardless (as they all were).

P1010424

I guess she can see, but it certainly doesn’t look like it!

P1010430

That’s better!

P1010431

I think he’s stuck.

P1010432

“Mittens? I can’t shovel snow if I have to wear mittens!”

P1010434 

P1010436

FLASHBACK 2007:

melting snow

Between Jacob and Jesse suspended on their hoes, the elaborate dams they had built, the mud on Jacob and Kate, and the look of delight on Ben’s face, this is one of my all-time favorite pictures. Although the angle of the picture and thus the background are entirely different, these are basically taken at the same place in our driveway, where the melting snow always pools and our kids are always attracted like flies to a picnic. Too much fun!!

And that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment