Wonderful day at church today, first because that’s just how church is, because it’s such a blessing to meet and fellowship and worship with God’s people, but second because we sang Christmas songs during the afternoon song service. And third, especially, because specifically we sang #300 in the Hymns of Zion, There Were Shepherds, which is basically the words of Luke 2 set to music. Absolutely beautiful song and words, and so joyful, such a blessing to sing. Last year we only sang it one time, and that was the day after Christmas, when I was home sick with a nasty stomach bug. That is, more accurately, THEY only sang it one time; I didn’t get to sing it at all. I know, I know, we can sing it at home, and I can sing it by myself anytime I want, but that is NOT the same as 300+ voices singing in a capella harmony. Not even close!! And I know, I know, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him (I Corinthians 2:9), but sometimes when we’re singing at church I imagine the roof opening at the top center, and folding back so we can see right into heaven – faith will become sight, the clouds will be rolled back as a scroll, the trump shall resound, the Lord shall descend, the angels will join us in song – - What a day, glorious day, that will be! - for the faithful who are covered by the blood of the Lamb, for those who know Him as Saviour, for all born-again believers who love and serve their Lord and Master with all their heart and soul and mind!!!!!!
So. Although every time we gather to worship with God’s people is a precious priceless privilege, and every worship service is wonderful because, well, because the whole reason we are gathering is to worship the CREATOR of the UNIVERSE who also LOVES US ENOUGH TO DIE FOR US!!!!! - - - well, some days are just even more special than others. And today was one of them, Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!
So. To celebrate this wonderful season of our Saviour's birth – here is one of my favorite Christmas songs.
There Were Shepherds (Hymns of Zion #300)
There were shepherds abiding in the fields,
Keeping watch, keeping watch o’er their flocks by night.
And the angel of the Lord came upon them,
And the glory of the the Lord shone round about them,
And the glory of the Lord, the glory of the Lord shone round about them.
And they were sore afraid, and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them:
“Fear ye not, fear ye not, for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy,
Which shall be to all people, to all people;
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour which is Christ the Lord.”
Then suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host,
And praising God and saying, praising God and saying:
(chorus:)
“Glory! Glory! Glory to God in the highest!
On earth peace and concord,
Unto mankind good will and favor!
Unto mankind good will and favor!
Glory to God! In the highest!
Glory to God! In the highest!
On earth peace and concord,
On earth peace and concord,
Unto mankind good will and favor!
Glory! Glory! Glory to God in the highest!
On earth peace and concord,
Unto mankind good will and favor!
Unto mankind good will and favor!
(choral:)
How shall I, Lord, receive Thee And how thy grace extol?
My spirit’s crown and glory, O bridegroom of my soul!
Give me the understanding How full of light and grace
My soul may e’er esteem Thee, In rev’rence sing Thy praise!
(repeat chorus)
A long song? Oh yes. One of the longest we sing. But I wouldn’t mind it being longer. It is beautiful! Majestic. Awesome. (so impressive or overwhelming as to inspire a strong feeling of admiration or fear -Encarta)
Yep, that’s it: Awesome.
Glory! Glory! Glory to God in the highest!
Three cheers for 300!!!
ReplyDeleteASK